Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Altec 604- Best bang for the buck

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Altec 604- Best bang for the buck

    I recently aquired a pair of empty model 17 (620) cabs. I have been looking on the 'bay at different 604 models. Please help me understand which is the best value for the performance. Please post any corrections to my notes. I posted this over at AK first but did not get many responses.

    604-RWB
    Looks like the first gen. Paper surround. AlNiCo magnets. Too expensive for me

    604-B
    Looks the same as above

    604-C/D
    Same as above except they switched to cloth surrounds. This is the generation (or G model) I would like if I can find a deal

    604-E-Red
    I have only seen a few of these and they look nice. Not sure what the difference is between the C/D version

    604-G
    Type used in the model 17. I am assuming these would have been original equipment in my model 17 cabs

    604-H
    Gpa version. Ferrite magnets. I would consider a pair of these if I could afford them. From the perspective of wanting a matching stereo pair, these would be "brand new"

    604-LN
    I dont know what these are. AlNiCo magnets and new style frames

    604-HPLN
    Same as above except the ads claim them to be high power. I am assuming these are similar to the 904 with heavier cones

    604-X
    Ferrite magnets. These go for pretty cheap on ebay. Like 400 bucks each or less. They claim to be "studio monitors" and have the mantaray horn.

    904
    Newer, high power PA version of the 604. I really would not even consider this model unless they were very cheap.



    Any insight would be great. I would like to know more about each model if possible. I would be willing to pay around a grand for a pair. Less would be great. I will be waiting for a deal to pop up. No full ebay prices for me.
    Also I would consider getting frames and having them reconed if that is my best finacial move.

    Edit: after some further thought I realize whatever woofers I get will have to be a "front mount" frame. Thats how the 620 cabs are setup. I am not sure all of the 604's I listed have a front mount option. Especially the older ones. Thanks again

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member gdmoore28's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2014
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    160
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604- Best bang for the buck

    Here's a nicely detailed timeline on 604-related speakers and their evolution. Hope it helps:

    http://www.technicalaudio.com/pdf/Du...04/DUPLEX.html

    GeeDeeEmm

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604- Best bang for the buck

    Wow cool link. Thanks for sharing that!

  4. #4
    Hostboard Member sanhanul's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 13th, 2012
    Posts
    87
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604- Best bang for the buck

    I think the best 604 for money is 604-H . I didn't try it or compare the sound of it to other 604s but I guess that from many reviews from many Altec enthusiasts who have lots of experiences. But it is rare in the market in Korea. I also wanted to try one but couldn't find a good pair.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604- Best bang for the buck

    I owned 604-8K's in 620 cabs and the GPA XO.

    I currently own 19's, but I find myself thinking I enjoyed the 604's better in some aspects.

    I am currently saving for some more, I am looking at getting GPA's 604 offering this time and not have to worry about shipping to and from to get the diaphragms and cones replaced/re magged, etc.....

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604- Best bang for the buck

    Hmm, based solely on having messed with a few different old models and the measured specs of the GPA 3 series, best bang/buck [at least for someone living in the USA and assuming a competitively priced pristine pair of 601s aren't available] would be the 3 series due to its larger horn.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  7. #7
    Hostboard Member HeathKitPat's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2012
    Posts
    47
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604- Best bang for the buck

    Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    I recently aquired a pair of empty model 17 (620) cabs. I have been looking on the 'bay at different 604 models. Please help me understand which is the best value for the performance. Please post any corrections to my notes. I posted this over at AK first but did not get many responses.

    604-RWB
    Looks like the first gen. Paper surround. AlNiCo magnets. Too expensive for me

    604-B
    Looks the same as above

    604-C/D
    Same as above except they switched to cloth surrounds. This is the generation (or G model) I would like if I can find a deal




    From my experience the C/D era was like this.. The C had a paper surround cone part no. 20598. When the C was discontinued in catalogs around 1957 to push the 605 for home use, there was an outcry from studios. To meet this commercial demand Altec put together the first generation D duplex speakers. They used NOS 20598 cones and labeled them as D. I have a D that has a new part number on the cone for the D, but hidden behind one of the spokes is the 20598 number verifying to me that it is a C cone with new numbers on it designating it as a D. The early D's were pretty much identical to C's. Then as they morphed into the later D, the spider was changed, the voice coil was shortened (too give it a deeper throw) and the cones were changed to the accordion edged style as seen on the next generation Duplex "E". So essentially an Early D is same as C and a late D is same as E or very close to it. Currently the only re-coning options available for an early D or older speaker is to have it re-coned using the later accordion edged cone. While this will work, it will no longer perform like a C. I have original 606 cabinets and they were designed specifically for the C, so by example if I were to mount a late D or any other later duplex the port would have to be tuned specifically to that speaker. Many have tried to say that the 604C paper edged cone is the same cone as used in the 515a. At this point I can't verify this.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.